Sunday, January 23, 2005

sunday wrapup: The Buck Stops Here…

by Guichard Cadet


In this first edition, I intone on three topics: NY Knicks, NFL Playoffs, and the “reality” show, Strange Love.

· JAMAL CRAWL before you… jack up three-pointers and other ill-advised shots to start the game.

Until the Feb. 24th trade deadline passes, I can start every Knicks’ column commenting on Nazr Mohammed spotting the opponent’s starting center with 2 quick, first quarter fouls. I will not because once the deadline passes, Nazr will either be gone, or play better because he's comfortable that he wasn’t traded or that expectations have been lowered since he is now coming off the bench or earning his DNPs.

In today’s loss to the Milwaukee Bucks, on some shots, Crawford displayed the tentativeness of a citizen living in a totalitarian state who had recently been physically abused in attempt to make him conform. For the Knicks to win, Jamal must understand that everyone wants him to shoot 20 to 25 times a game, especially with so many veteran offensive threats (Houston, Hardaway and T. Thomas) injured.

While getting his shots, he must become an all-around player.

Fundamentally, Crawford’s game needs only one major adjustment: 3 dribbles then take steps toward the basket. From there, he can penetrate for a layup (score and/or foul shots), shoot a short jumper, pass to a player who’s in a better position to shoot, or kick it back out to the perimeter to restart the offense.

· E-A-G-L-E-S’ fans are scary…

As we do most Sunday morning, the wife and I watch ESPN’s Outside the Lines, As New Yorkers and Giants (she, more) and Jets (me, more) fans, we have mixed emotions rooting for the Eagles and Patriots. After seeing this morning’s OSL program, we badly wanted Donavan McNabb to win…because Eagles’ fans are scary.

I have friends from Philly and Pittsburgh. The Steelers’ fans are comfortable, cocky, loyal, in a familial way, and fun folks to discuss football. The ones from Philly, all they ever say is how they’re going to beat you…sort of obnoxious, right? But, for Donavan, we rooted, though I still have flashbacks of Randall Cunningham leaping over Giants defenders, attempting to ruin championship seasons. So, congrats, Donavan…!!

It’s hard to look at the New England Patriots because I always go back to one day: WHEN BELICHICK WAS OUR COACH!!!! and Charlie Weis was still the Jets’ offensive coordinator.

A lot of folks were upset with Bill Belichick for “quitting” on the NY Jets. I wasn’t because I also had been sandbagged to take a “promotion” in which I was not able to negotiate and earn my true market value. At that time, 1991, I did what Bill did.

I wish he had done his first. My move didn’t turn out so well. I could have learned from him.

Though I had picked both these teams to advance to the Super Bowl, I didn’t post because I had no preference in these games. I preferred Patriots vs. Eagles because they play in my NY teams’ division.

Side Note to the Atlanta Falcons: please explain the logic of executing the “west coast offense” when your QB excels in throwing the deep ball, and running when nothing is open. By using this offense, the linebackers are never too far from scrimmage; thus his runs are not very effective, and blitzes are hard to recognize for the wide receivers and him.

· of faded blonde bombshells and black “boys”

In this week’s episode of VH1’s Strange Love an Italian-speaking, party guest commented that Flavor Flav acts like he’s 13 years old. Perhaps knowing Flav would have ill’ed, the man, next to them, translated it to “you look 13”. Flav thanked the woman, and after the translation, the Italians were astounded that Flav took it as a compliment.

That was the ultimate insult! You don’t know what I’m talking about … Strange Love , you ask? Good for you!

Last Sunday, I was unfortunate enough to be channel surfing, when I stumbled upon this travesty which for me is the latest, and currently the most potent effort to assassinate the black male image. Since I am not a white blonde female, I will not speculate as to what they feel when they watch this. Nor will I say that I speak for all black males.

I must not, since Flavor Flav is a willing participant. My all-time favorite rap album is Public Enemy’s, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. I have always substituted the ‘back’ for ‘black’, and in a proud way. Within the PE family, I always defended Flav when folks around me debated him as no more than a minstrel.

When Chuck D said “this is what I mean by an anti-nigger machine…if I come out alive then they won’t come clean…” It spoke directly to his union with Flava Flav – “rock the hardcore and reach the boulevard”, in effect the bourgie!

Most blacks find themselves between a rock and hard place – Chuck & Flav! And, back then, to me, Flav was not hard to defend.

Now, his only saving grace for this Strange Love fiasco: some (young) person will think it’s a PSA from a Partnership for a Drug-Free America , of "this is your brain on drugs" fame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home